Centre for Cellular & Molecular Biology (CCMB): CSIR
A premier research organization in frontier areas of modern biology offers Summer Training programme for students of all fields of Science (especially Life Sciences), every year. Here’s an update on the same. So, apply in time!
About the CCMB Summer Training Program
It is not a conventional classroom lectures based training program. Instead, each selected candidate/trainee will be assigned to a CCMB staff scientist who will supervise/mentor him/her during the stay. Each student is expected to execute a small project work under the guidance of the scientist. At the end of the program,
student will need to submit a ‘Project Report’ of the work done, and also would be required to make an oral presentation.
Only those students should apply for the training program, who are ready to work in any lab in CCMB, if
selected, irrespective of his/her stated research interest (catering to the research interests of every student would be difficult).
Eligibility for the CCMB Summer Training Program
The training program is open to students from all branches of sciences and open to all Indian Universities/Research Institutes.
Only the Students who are admitted in a Master’s program (M.Sc.) in year 2014 or B. Tech. (4 year) program in 2012 or Integrated B. Tech – M. Tech. (5 year) program in 2011 can apply, i.e., the students who will complete their 1st year of M.Sc. or 6th Semester of B. Tech. or 8th Semester of Five year Integrated B. Tech – M. Tech in June/July 2015 are eligible to apply.
M. Tech. students are not eligible for the CCMB Training Program.
Computer science students with flair for biology may also apply.
- The program is for a duration of 60 days in the months of May – July 2015.’
- Last date for receipt of Application in CCMB: Friday, the 6th February 2015.
- Selected candidate’s LIST on CCMB homepage Around second week of April 2015. (there will be No separate letter of intimation from CCMB to the selected candidates).
- Last date for selected candidates to inform their Acceptance to CCMB/Program Coordinator: 20th April 2015
- Joining date (Tentative) : 10-15th May 2015
(no one will be allowed to join after 20th May under any circumstance)
Financing/Scholarship/Boarding and Lodging?
Support /Boarding/Lodging CCMB will not provide any financial support for boarding/ lodging. All the selected candidates are required to self-finance their stay in CCMB/Hyderabad. The candidates are expected to make their own arrangement for stay in Hyderabad during the training period, though CCMB may consider specific requests only from outstation students, especially girl students for shared accommodation in CCMB housing facility depending upon the availability of vacant flats/space.
HOW TO APPLY?
CLICK HERE to download the application form. Fill the same and send it to the mailing address mentioned below (or to those mentioned in the form).
Mailing address for application:
Dr. Ramesh K. Aggarwal
Summer Program 2015
Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology
Uppal Road, Tarnaka
Hyderabad 500007 (Telangana)
(Please mention on top of the envelope “Application for Summer Training 2015”).
Completed application (Hard copy) for the program MUST reach CCMB by the first FRIDAY of February 2015 (6/2/2015). The names of the Selected candidates will be made available on CCMB homepage during the second week of April 2015 (around 15/4/2015); here, it may be noted that no separate intimation will be sent to any candidate, and thus all applicants must look for his/her name in the ‘selection list’ on CCMB homepage only.
Selection Process for CCMB Summer Training Programme
A committee nominated by the Director, CCMB, selects the trainees. One of the major criteria used in selection is that the selected candidates should represent the Nation-wide coverage of different Indian states (based on the location of their academic institutions, but independent of their birthplace, sex, cast or religion). ‘Statement of purpose’ and the ‘Recommendation/reference Letter’ are other important considerations in the selection of candidates along with the academic record. A few seats (~5%) are reserved for the children of serving CCMB employees. The number of trainees’ intake varies between 50 – 60 candidates, and mainly depends upon the availability of bench space with different staff scientists of CCMB. On an average we receive ~1500 applications, of which only 3.0 – 4.0% candidates make it to the program.
Important points to note
- The competition is very high for the few available seats with an average chance of selection being only 3.0 – 4.0 %.
- Applications for Summer Program 2015 MUST be submitted as a hard copy.
- The application incomplete in any respect will be rejected/not considered.
- Requests/applications for the program sent prior to this notification will not be considered. Any such candidate must apply again using the prescribed application form.
- There is no FEE for the training program; but all selected candidates have to bear their boarding/lodging expenditure during the 60-day stay at CCMB.
- The decision of the Centre in regard to the selection of candidates shall be final.
- Canvassing in any form and/or bringing in any influence, political or otherwise, will be treated as a disqualification.
- Selected candidates are expected to have cleared their final exams (1 year in case of M.Sc. students, th 6 semester in case of B. Tech. students and 8th semester in case of Five year Integrated B. Tech – M. Tech. students) before joining the program and thus are required to bring the documentary proof for the same.
- On the other hand, for students, whose results may be awaited at that time, students would need to provide a certificate from their college certifying that – the student has appeared for the final exams, and that the results are yet to be declared.
- All candidates selected for the program will need to spend a minimum period of 60 days in CCMB without any break. This is one of the most important requirements and accordingly, all candidates need to furnish a certificate from their Head of the Department/Competent authority of the college/institute to this effect (see the Application form for instructions).
All the Best!
(Information source: http://www.ccmb.res.in/index.php?view=training&mid=0&id=73&nid=46)