I have always stressed upon giving due focus to the organizer of the GATE exam and making sure that one covers the topics related to the research profile of their faculty. Though I wanted that the aspirants should make special efforts on their own to analyse the faculty profiles and zeroing on the topics that could be crucial for the exam; but quite a number of requests from our subscribers and regular users made me realize that my opinion could ease their anxiousness. So, dear aspirants, here’s a list of some crucial topics in my opinion, which you shouldn’t ignore. I have made this list after thorough study of the faculty profile, and these topics could be important in the perspective of the IITK faculty. I wish and hope that this effort helps you all in some form.
GATE Biotech Important Topics (Whenever IIT Kanpur is an Organizer):
- Basics of Microarray
- Nature of Bone Morphogenic Proteins and basic understanding of their role.
- Thoroughly study GPCRs (ensure fundamental understanding of G-proteins and their functional significance as well). Also get basic awareness of biased signaling at G protein-coupled receptors (GPCRs).
- Media and special growth conditions (including growth regulators, pH, CO2 etc) for Mammalian Cell Culture.
- Basic understanding of Heat Shock Proteins
- Basic understanding of micro-RNAs (functional significance).
- Pharmacokinetic properties of drugs (be aware of the improtant terms)
- Names and consitutents of biodegradable polymers
- Special focus on basic awareness of some neurodegenerative diseases and pathways.
- Special focus on Adeno-associated virus (AAV) as gene delivery systems. Read about other vectors for gene delivery as well but put thorough focus on AAVs.
- Read about fovea.
- Role of drosophila in Tumor studies.
- Neoplasms and Hyperplasia
- Programmed Cell Death
- Understand Nucleosomes and then ATP-CRC
- Bioinformatics Databases
- Options in BLAST
- Thorough understanding of various Chromatographic techniques
- Mechanism of action of various Antibiotics
Best wishes to all of you!
May this GATE exam opens up the gates of success for each one of you!